Sunday, November 11, 2012

Belizean Style Creole Bun


Ingredients

3/4 cup warm water about 115 F
2 tsp sugar (used to proof yeast)
6 tsp yeast (active dry - it's the only one I use)
2 sticks of butter or margarine (I used margarine for this recipe)
1 can evaporated milk ( I used carnation)
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1 tsp Nutmeg
2 cups brown sugar (not packed)
1 cup white sugar
9 cups bread flour (All purpose flour also works)
1 TBS Shortening (to grease baking pans)

Preparation
  • Stir sugar into the warm water (115 F) and mix in the yeast. Set aside and allow 10 minutes to rise.

  • In the meantime, mix the flour, sugar and seasonings in a deep bowl. Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture.
  • Melt the margarine in the microwave for 1 minute. It will not be completely dissolved, but that's ok.
  • Remove the margarine from the microwave and add the evaporated milk. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Do not boil.
  • Remove from microwave and beat in the egg.
  • Add the yeast to the warm milk mixture and stir for about 10 seconds. Add the milk mixture to the hole in the center of the flour mixture.


  • Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough holds together and knead. I put the dough in my bread machine and knead it for 15 minutes. Saves my shoulders and back. If you have a lovely kitchen Aid appliance go ahead and use it.
  • Let it rise for 2 hours. I cover mine and put it in the oven and go about my business.
  • Knead it again on a floured board or in your bread machine or Kitchen Aid for about 15 minutes.
  • Grease your baking pans with shortening.
  • Cut into round balls about 3 inches in dia and allow to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
  • Preheat oven to 350 F and bake for 15 minutes. Depending on your oven you may need more time, but definitely check it in 15 minutes, as mine would have burned if I had waited any longer. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work.
    cbd gummies for pain

    ReplyDelete